Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Nose Candy

With summer finally in full swing, I can finally focus on something other than the clouds and rain: three delicious scents, for the home and for you.

This classic fragrance, coveted by men and women alike, is perfect for a breezy summer night. Sicilian citrus fruits mellow out the stronger sandalwood and vetiver notes, making for a deliciously harmonious blend. The bottle alone is a studied minimalist masterpiece. One spritz of this and suddenly you're zooming up the autostrada through Tuscany in a vintage Benz.
Acqua di Parma Colonia, $73 for 50ml, available at Barneys

I'm a sucker for a good shaved fennel and arugula salad in the summer, made with fresh ingredients from the Amagansett Farmer's Market or Jim Pike's stand in Wainscott. Somehow this candle from Diptyque captures that essence. I know what you're thinking - I didn't think my house should smell like root vegetables, either. Until I lit this thing. It works, I promise. With notes of fennel, dill, and anise, it's great for a kitchen or a bathroom.
Diptyque Fenouil Sauvage Candle, $55, available at Barneys

This one, as my friend Julio says, is a "no-brainer." New this spring from Hermès, the fresh, bright essence of grapefruit and rose petals is bottled by perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena for the luxury goods house and is selling out everywhere. (I would know - I bought the last bottle.) It smells just as nice as men as on women, and is a good daytime scent for a season that usually doesn't need one.
Hermès Eau de Pamplemousse Rose, $165 for 6.5 fl oz, available (for now) at Hermès.com

No comments:

Post a Comment